Home Residents


The Claresholm Development Office can assist you with interpreting the Land Use Bylaw, acquiring the appropriate permits for building, and taking you through the steps to make sure your new dream home, addition, or renovation is completed appropriately, saving you time, money and frustration as you develop your project. The most up-to-date Land Use Bylaw can be found on the Oldman River Regional Services Commission (ORRSC) website.  ORRSC is our local planning commission. You can also contact our Development Officer for assistance by e-mailing tara@claresholm.ca or by phone at 403.625.3381.

Town of Claresholm PUBLIC GIS ACCESS:

The Town of Claresholm provides a public version (login as Guest) of our Geographic Information System (GIS) for residents to utilize. Residents may access this map and view legal land description’s, addresses and land use zoning. They may also use features such as a measuring tool or aerial photo to gain basic information about parcels and developments.

CLICK HERE to go to the website to access the system.

This page is provided for information only, and it not intended to replace bylaws or legal council.  Please contact the Claresholm Development Officer for the most up-to-date information.

Utility Safety Partners

If you’re a contractor or homeowner planning to disturb the ground, submit a locate request to ensure you don’t come in contact with a dangerous underground utility.

You are not clear to excavate until all utilities have been located. It is the excavator’s responsibility to make sure there is no damage to the located utilities during excavation, and placing a request with Utility Safety Partners does not remove that responsibility.

Utility Safety Partners - Click Before You Dig!


Subdivision is the dividing of a single parcel of land into two or more parcels.

This process is governed and regulated by a number of various provincial and municipal legislations. Subdivision approval is also required for title separations, property line adjustments, bareland condominiums and the registration of long-term leases. The subdivision of land is part of a larger process of land use planning beyond just the lots being created. Planners and those assigned process subdivision proposals on behalf of a municipality. They spend a great deal of time reviewing land use, legislation, studies, site suitability and subdivision site specifics of proposals both before and after an actual application is submitted. The Oldman River Regional Services Commission (ORRSC) processes applications on behalf of the Town of Claresholm.

Please contact ORRSC at 403.329.1344 (or toll free at 1.877.329.1387), or refer to the subdivision brochures supplied by ORRSC for more information available below or for pick up at the Town Office.


DownloadBefore You Subdivide Brochure