Home Business

Cost of Doing Business

Alberta boasts one of the most competitive tax environments in North America. There are no capital or payroll taxes in the province. The only sales tax in Claresholm is the Federal GST (5%), as no provincial sales taxes are levied in Alberta.

The Utilities Consumer Advocate (UCA) office is a branch of Service Alberta and has a mandate to educate, advocate, and mediate for Alberta’s residential, farm, and small business electricity and natural gas consumers.

Visit ucahelps.alberta.ca to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates, or get help resolving utility related issues.


DownloadBusiness Continuity


DownloadIs Your Business Prepared?

Business Licensing

A Business license is valid for the Calendar Year of the application date. In other words, January 1 to December 31 of the same year. Except for non-resident contractors, any new application for an In-Town License submitted after June 30 will be pro-rated to 1/2 the yearly fee. Invoices for in-Town continuing businesses are mailed out within the first week of the new year and are due by the end of January each year.  Non-resident license holders are responsible to renew when proceeding with work in the community. Invoices will not be mailed to non-resident license holders.

If you are no longer operating a business within the Town of Claresholm, it is your responsibility to either contact the town, or to sign at the bottom of your invoice, to verify that you are no longer operating a business. Closed businesses will not be invoiced the following year.

Business License Fees are as follows.

Town Businesses (downtown/commercial/industrial) - $50.00 annually. 

Home-Based Business - $100.00 annually.

Out of Town contractors please contact our Development Officer for fees and further details.  

A Regional Business License can also be obtained for an additional $80.00. For more information on a regional license click here.           

Anyone operating a business without paying the fees is in violation of the Business License Bylaw. For more information and an application for obtaining a business license go here. If your business will be a home-based business go here for more information and an application.