Claresholm & District Museum and Visitor Information Centre
The Claresholm & District Museum is one of the best community museums in southern Alberta. For a town the size of Claresholm, the collection is remarkable.
The Claresholm & District Museum comprises a 1912 CPR train station, which is a provincially designated historic resource, an 8,000 square foot Exhibit Hall, Claresholm’s first school from 1903, a 1920s log cabin, and a CPR caboose. Established in 1969, the museum has long been committed to preserving and exhibiting the history of the community.
The historic sandstone railway station, that was originally part of Calgary’s 9th Avenue C.P.R. depot in 1886, was rebuilt in Claresholm in 1912. The CPR depot is home to the Visitor Information Centre, the original station master’s office, other exhibits, and also a free Internet kiosk. The Exhibit Hall, constructed in 2008, interprets the history of Claresholm through tableaux from Blackfoot culture to military history. There are several transportation artifacts on display including a rare local school bus (believed to be Canada's oldest motorized school bus) and two of Claresholm’s fire engines. Researchers may access the archival holdings by appointment (phone 403.625.1742).
Claresholm Rail Station now houses the Museum
The Visitor Information Centre located in the CPR Depot and the Museum Exhibit Hall is open from May through October, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily (until Labour Day) The Museum is also open by appointment (to researchers, school or tour groups) by phoning the Museum at 403.625.1742 or 403.625.3131 or by e-mail.