Claresholm Fair Days
Claresholm Fair Days takes place the second weekend in August every summer. Fair Days celebrates what small town living truly means with a Bench Show, parade, show 'n' shine, rodeo events, pancake breakfasts, and much more! We hope you will stop by for a visit!
Claresholm Fair Days 2018 is August 9 - 12.
Theme: Salute to Horses
ViewClaresholm Fair Days
DownloadBench Show Catalogue
DownloadColoring Contest 5 years & under
SUMMARY OF GUIDELINES AS FOUND IN THE 2017-2018 BENCH SHOW CATALOGUE
Where/when will the 2018 Claresholm &District Fair Days Bench Show take place?
August 10th & 11th
Claresholm Community Centre (new this year due to renovations happening in the Arena)
What is this year’s theme?
Salute to Horses is the 2018 theme. Take a look through the catalogue for a variety of theme based classes. NEW classes for this catalogue are marked with an asterisk*
When and where can I buy entry tags?
The Claresholm Local Press will have tags available for sale starting June 1st.
The Farmers Market downtown will have tags available for sale on Wednesdays July 25th, August 1st & 8th.
How much do entry tags cost?
Adult tags - $1 each, Junior tags (17 years and under) .50 cents.
Purchase and prepare your tags ahead. Refer to the sample on page 35 of the catalogue
When /Where will entries be accepted?
Thursday, August 9th from 6:00 to 9:00pm.
Friday, August 10th from 9:00 to 11:am at the Community Centre.
What is a Display Only Class?
Display an item not classified specially marked tags available only Thursday night and Friday morning. There is NO CHARGE for this tag, nor will it be judged.
- Entry Guidelines:
- All entries must be the work of the person whose name is written on the tag.
- Please use the same name on each entry tag as you used for registration. This is the only way your award points can be tallied to make sure you receive the points you have earned.
- Exception for original work: Section 8 - Heritage Display, all entries in this Section must be 50 years or older.
- The name of the person on the tag who is entering the item must be registered at the Registration desk.
- If you are unable to pick up your pay out envelope and entries at 4:00pm on Saturday, please arrange to have someone pick them up for you; the pickup person’s name must be given to the registration desk to be recorded on your Pay Out envelope.
- Fair Board Volunteers will receive the items after Registration, review the entry tag confirming Adult or Junior entry and correct Section and Class are written to match the catalogue. Junior entries must state age and Age Division on the tag.
- If food entry items are donated for the Bake Sale, please mark tag with a check mark…yes. Only food items will be accepted for Donation.
- President’s Pie Contest - Two crust red fruit pie (can be two fruit combination) pies submitted Friday between 9-11am. Judging begins at 6 pm on Friday.
- The Junior Reporter is sponsored by the Local Press, check ads in the Local Press.
- Though out the school year some class assignments can be found to match a class in Section 14 Junior Handicrafts or Section 15 Junior Art; setting up a folder for school work will make it easier to find assignments to enter in a class.
- Yard and Garden Competition for Adults and Juniors. Contact Syd or Sheila Gray 403-625-2132, by July to 12th enter your garden. Refer to the Rules & Guidelines in the catalogue for judging criteria. Judging will take place Sunday, July 15, 2018. Third parties are not permitted without prior consent of the owner. Watch for posters and ads in the Local Press.
- Section 2, 3 & 4, Grains, Forage, Range plants & noxious weeds are for both Adult and Juniors. Please refer to the “Judging Standards for Horticultural Shows” available from Alberta Agriculture.
Now for some unusual categories?
Enter a Quack grass root, complete with grass blade to compete for the “longest root”. Need help with identification of any range plant or noxious weed; contact the Ag Field person at the MD of Willow Creek
Good time to check to see if you have an interesting salt lick sculpture, refer to Section 5
Did someone say Pet Show?
Pet Show takes place 7pm Friday night; watch for signs for location at the Community Centre, area will be roped off with yellow rope.
No animals are allowed INSIDE the Community Centre. Entry fee $1.00, collected when you register Friday night.
Calling all Small, Furry or Feathered and Waterfowl
Section 16, 17, & 18 please bring to the Community Centre Saturday morning between 9 and 11. Watch for signs for this designated area outside the Community Centre.
Worried You might miss something?
We’ve got it covered on - Page 20- the centre fold of the Bench Show Catalogue contains a list of all events taking place Thursday to Sunday of Fair Days.
Fair Board meetings - fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm in the Bill Simpson room of the Claresholm Public Library.